Sunday, August 30, 2009

Chapter 1 pages 3-6

Not every page of the Wake will get as close a reading as the first few. For the most part I will comment on each chapter and look closer at parts that I feel are worth mentioning.

Pages 3-6: WTF is an understatement. I feel like my copy is missing the decoder ring that will help me navigate this thing. (If this is some elaborate subliminal message encouraging readers to drink their Ovaltine I will be very upset.)
Here are some highlights:

Longest word: "bababadalgharaghtakamminarronnkonnbronntonnerronntuonnthunntrovarrhounawnskawntoohoohooredenrenthurnuk!" (3)
(and yes I do feel like a chump for taking the time to type that word correctly because I am pretty sure a cat came up with it while walking on the typewriter)

Most comprehensible sentence:
"(There extend by now one thousand and one stories all told, of the same)" (5).

Best alliteration:
"Hootch is for husbandman handling his hoe" (5).

As far as what this is about I don't know yet. I have a lot of questions though. Like how it was possible for JJ to reread his writing and understand himself. How did anyone edit this? Is this a joke, really?? I think this book would be most enjoyed if read aloud. The sounds made by the words roll off your tongue. If only they also made sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment